I never understood why the anti-Iraq war lot so frequently resorts to pathetic and ridiculous conspiracy theories, since there are plenty of legitimate reasons against the invasion. I welcome open and challenging debates. However, I am tired of arguing with people who do not even know the basic facts required to distinguish between incontrovertible evidence and popular opinions.
Against the background of the recent “Blood for Oil” conspiracy and in preparation for the upcoming Chilcot report and expected new outbreak of PoPNI (Period of Profound National Insanity), I have composed a set of golden rules for debating the Iraq war.
* Tony on Twitter asked me to add: you’re wasting your time with anyone who uses the phrase ‘took us to war on a lie’
* Further amendments coming in from Peter : “you can’t drop democracy from 30,000 ft” and don’t debate “anyone who describes jihadi suicide murderers as the resistance”
* Livy does not welcome: “the sort of people with the straight faced conceit to say, Not in My Name”
*Cathy says no-go is: Iraq war was “signed in blood”
* Jamie strictly bans: “referring to TB as a poodle, despite being an interventionist PM when Bush was still Gov. of Texas” and “complaining we invaded a ‘sovereign’ country – as if it were Holland and not a country held hostage by vile gangster regime”
* Thomas rejects: “anybody who shouts “it was illegal” without ever opening a single book on international law”
* I’d like to add: anyone who greatly exaggerates casualty number aka. “one million (+) died”. Iraqi Body Count is only reliably source
*New rule coming in from Ian: “people who have never read Blair’s 18.3.03 Commons speech esp col 772″
* Max prohibits: anyone who asks ‘Why not Bahrain/Syria/Zimbabwe?’ without admitting they would be against attacks on Bahrain/Syria/Zimbabwe for identical reasons and using identical arguments
* Erik adds: anyone who “calls Britian W.’s peripheral poodle”
* It just does not stop: people who speaks of “sexing up intelligence” are now banned from the debate
* Ex-soldier on BBC Radio 5 adds another no-go: “We launched this war for all the wrong reasons”
* Latest IWGDR: everyone describing Brian Haw as “another war casualty” is immediately excluded
* “Bush is dumb” leads to immediate disqualification